Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm’s Reach
Canada launches a Call for Proposals for the Partnerships for Strengthening Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
On behalf of Prime Minister Harper, The Honorable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie announced Canada’s Partnerships for Strengthening Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (PSMNCH) call for proposals at the annual general meeting of the Canadian Network for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (CAN-MNCH) on November 5, 2014.
Improving the health of the world’s mothers and children is Canada’s top development priority. Prime Minister Harper has taken leadership on improving global maternal, newborn and child health: first at the 2010 G8 Summit where the Muskoka Initiative, which brought global attention to maternal, newborn and child health and garnered over US$7.3 billion in new global funding over five years, was launched; then at the 2014 global Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm’s Reach summit in Toronto, which reinvigorated the discussion and commitment and where Canada pledged an additional $3.5 billion from 2015 to 2020; and more recently at the 69th Session of the United Nations General Assembly where Canada made the call for continued global efforts and advocated to ensure that maternal, newborn and child health remains a top priority in the post-2015 development agenda.
As part of Canada’s $3.5 billion commitment from 2015 to 2020, this call for proposals provides details about how Canada plans to work with Canadian organizations to end the preventable deaths of mothers, newborns and children younger than the age of five within a generation.
The Partnerships for Strengthening Maternal, Newborn and Child Health call for proposals, valued at $370 million over five years will fund the initiatives of selected Canadian organizations, civil society, academia and the private sector that help to reduce maternal and child mortality and improve women’s and children’s health in the targeted regions. The focus of the call will be on strengthening health systems, reducing the burden of disease, improving nutrition, and ensuring accountability for results.
- 2014-11-19 - News Release - Minister Paradis and Global Health and Diplomacy Magazine Convene Private Sector Leaders to Save the Lives of Women and Children
- 2014-11-19 - Speech - Address by Lois Brown, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie at the Second International Conference on Nutrition (ICN2)
- 2014-11-18 - Media Advisories - Reminder - Minister Paradis to deliver a keynote address at a round table discussion hosted by the Center for Global Health and Diplomacy
- 2014-11-14 - News Release - Canada Strengthening Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Partnerships
- 2014-11-13 - Media Advisories - Government of Canada to Launch Webinar Discussion on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health
- Date modified: