Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm’s Reach
69th General Assembly of the United Nations
Prime Minister Stephen Harper attended the 69th General Assembly of the United Nations in New York City, to continue the momentum generated by the 2014 Toronto Summit to end the needless and preventable deaths of mothers, newborns and children across the developing world within a generation. To mark Canada’s unequivocal commitment to saving the lives of the world’s most vulnerable women and children, Prime Minister Harper announced that Canada, along with its partners, has founded the Global Financing Facility for Every Woman, Every Child, to which it will contribute $200 million. Based at the World Bank, the facility will provide the critical financial infrastructure to mobilize the capital required to secure maternal, newborn and child health on the international agenda.
Prime Minister Harper hosted the Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm’s Reach Summit in Toronto from May 28 to 30, 2014. At the Summit, the Prime Minister announced Canada's commitment of $3.5 billion to improve the health of mothers and children for the period of 2015–2020, supporting global efforts to end the preventable deaths of mothers, newborn and children younger than the age of five.
Maternal, newborn and child health is Canada’s top development priority. Our continued global leadership, beginning with the 2010 G-8 Muskoka Initiative and reconfirmed at the Saving Every Woman, Every Child: Within Arm's Reach Summit, is ensuring that this important issue also remains a global priority in the post-2015 development agenda.
- 2014-09-25 - Speech - Prime Minister Harper addresses the United Nations General Assembly in New York City
- 2014-09-25 - News Release - Prime Minister Harper highlights Canada’s leadership role on the world stage
- 2014-09-25 - Backgrounder - Global Financing Facility For Every Woman Every Child: Building critical financial infrastructure and capital for maternal, newborn and child health post-2015
- 2014-09-25 - Backgrounder - Canada leading the global effort to improve the lives of women and children in the developing world
- 2014-09-25 - News Release - Development Partners Support the Creation of Global Financing Facility to Advance Women’s and Children’s Health
- Date modified: